Identifying Opportunities in Economic & Regulatory Trends

1. Economic trend: Value of the British Pound Decreasing
    • I believe an opportunity might exist because this represents a significant change in not just the economic foundation of an entire country, but also its relationship with the EU and the rest of the world.
    • The most likely customer would be the people of the UK
    • This would be a difficult opportunity to exploit because it involves the destruction of an economy rather than the growth of one
    • I believe I saw this as opportunity because of the way this class has taught us how to approach certain situations. The average person would see that the economy is getting worse in the UK and would think to stay away from it, while this class has shown us that we should think like an entrepreneur and try to find value where others don't see any.

2. Economic trend: A Market Crash is Coming
    • The most likely customer would be the American people
    • This would be a difficult opportunity to exploit because it involves advanced knowledge of how the stock market works and savvy investments
    • I believe I saw this as opportunity because I have seen many instances of how people have benefited from the failures of the economy. I've seen and heard countless stories of peoplebein smart and seeing the crashes coming, and finding waysto profit. Even movies like The Big Short and shows like Billions demonstrate that these events can be exploited if approached with precision.

3. Regulatory trend: Houses Passes Raise the Wage Act
    • The most likely customer would be unemployed people, low income people and people who employ them
    • This would be a relatively easy opportunity to exploit because it involves giving more money back to the consumer
    • I believe I saw this as opportunity because I worked in the office of Representative Stephanie Murphy, who was leading voice behind the campaign, this past summer. I saw what economic opportunities exist with the passage of this bill.

4. Regulatory trend: Incoming limits on Assault Weapon
    • The most likely customer would be conservatives and pro-gun advocates
    • This would be a difficult opportunity to exploit because items that certain people want are being taken off the market
    • I believe I saw this as opportunity because I have seen over the past few years how bad guns can be, and how the problem is getting worse.








Comments

  1. Hey Grant! It would definitely be a good time to go visit the UK since everything’s cheaper. But in all seriousness, Brexit has really taken a toll on the UK economy. It seems to me that the British Pound pressure relates closely to the political nature of the country due to figuring out the logistics of a deal or no deal situation. I'm intrigued to see what happens, and I definitely agree with you that there is an opportunity there! I enjoyed reading your other articles too, good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Grant, I definitely agree with your claim that the entrepreneur finds opportunities where others might not see it, and the UK example is an excellent one! I also really liked how you brought in the two films that focus on finding an opportunity from a recession as one appears to be approaching. I definitely see many opportunities with the ones that you found. I especially think that there will be a lot of opportunities for non-profit organizations to help the many people that will face unemployment as a result of the minimum wage increase. Since the bill will also make it more difficult for young people and the unemployed to gain more experience, I believe that there could be an opportunity for non-profit (perhaps subsidized) training programs to help those that are negatively affected by the bill.

    Kind regards,

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1

What’s Next?