Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 1

For my interviews, I wanted to talk to three elementary school kids. Unfortunately, it was hard to find three kids who I could talk to, so I went with three teachers instead. While not my primary segment, teachers are a major group that I am also targeting with my service. When discussing the problems with school lunch food, the consensus in the three interviews I did was, unsurprisingly, the need primarily takes place at schools during lunchtime. I asked them all how they attempt to satisfy the need for better lunch for themselves. All three mentioned that bringing their own lunch could be a solution, two of the three didn't see this as something they could realistic do on a regular basis. The third said she brings her own lunch everyday. While they all acknowledged the problem, only two of the three felt my service would be a sufficient solution for them. The same one who brings her lunch said that although she sees how others would find this service useful, she personally would continue to bring her own food as a matter of personal preference. I also asked if any of them have ever researched anything regarding school lunches, and none of the three ever had. However, they all where aware of the stigma and agreed that it was a problem. One of them felt it was a serious issue but didn't feel the need to research solutions; one felt that it is only a moderate issue so they didn't care enough to find any alternatives; and the last one who brings her own food felt it was serious and that contributed to her decision to bring her own food every day.

Based on my previous knowledge of teachers combined with these interviews, I still feel this segment is extremely viable. It doesn't appear that most teachers have done much research on the issue, but they are well of its existence. In fact, it seems like there is almost unanimous awareness of a need for better lunches. The potential roadblock is how many teachers actually want it. While I assumed it would be vast majority, based on who I've talked to it seems only 2 out of 3 teachers would want it. So it is not as large of a market as I had assumed, but still sizable enough to be significant. Plus, this doesn't factor in to how many teachers will change their mind once the my food is actually offered.

Comments

  1. Hey Grant great post! You did a great job adapting to what your customers were saying. Your customers showed a good amount of interest, which is promising for the future. I agree with you I still feel that the segment is extremely viable. Getting 66% of your customers interested is still veery high and admirable! I hope you capitalize on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Grant, based on your interviews, I can see how teachers might not be the primary segment your business wants to approach. But I think is because they lack time to cover such issues and like the one who said she will probably keep bringing her own lunch, she might be reluctant because of previous experiences. I think you should target whoever is in charge of the lunch menu and parents in your next interviews because you can get a better response to the children’s needs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1

What’s Next?