Idea Napkin No. 2

1. Who are you?
My name is Grant Leff. I am a junior from Weston, Florida. I have done a lot of work in the live television production field. I have worked for ESPN, CBS, HBO, and have interned in DC with a Congresswoman. However, my idea is focused on helping make school lunches healthier. I grew up eating school lunches, have worked at a school with kids, and have parents who are teachers, so I have been around school cafeteria food for a long time. I know from personal experience the problems it has, specifically in terms of healthiness.
2. What are you offering?
I am offering a company that would provide healthy school lunches to schools around the country for a low price. We would have different packages that range from sending recipes, to sending ingredients, to sending trained chefs to the schools.
3. Who are you offering it to?
I will be offering this to schools. Specifically, we are targeting elementary school children and their teachers. They all rely on the food provided by the schools, so it is important that the food be healthy.
4. Why do they care?
The school will care because they are trying to keep parents happy, make their kids healthier, raise their test scores, satisfy their teachers, and raise their reputation. Providing healthy, delicious school lunches can accomplish all of those things. So, if my company can provide this service at a great price, the schools will absolutely be interested in it.
5. What are your core competencies?
To my knowledge, there are not many services that are focusing on providing healthy and delicious food to all schools at a competitive price in this manner. So, to be able to accomplish this goal would separate my company from all other providers of school food around the country.

I believe all of these things fit together well. This is an untapped market with a definitive need for a service like the one I am trying to provide. There are few if any people who would oppose an idea like this. The only obstacle I potentially see is pricing. That is something I will have to work on in order for this company to be as successful as I envision. But, as a whole, I feel the service I am offering fits the customer base well because all students, parents, and teachers would want better, healthier food. At the same time, the schools have plenty of reasons to be in favor of using my service as opposed to whatever services they currently use. The one element that I see as weaker than the rest is my personal background. I don't have much experience that would be beneficial to starting a school food company, but I feel my idea and passion are strong enough to where I can surround myself with the right people in order to be successful.

I did not receive any feedback other than approval of my idea, so I left most of my napkin the same. I felt the first time I wrote it that it did a solid job answering the questions, so since I wasn't given anything to change, I left it alone.

Comments

  1. Hey Grant, your idea napkin is very solid so no wonder you didn’t get any other feedback besides approval! You obviously have a sound argument through your personal experiences which I think will really resonate with your customers. Your social capital through your parents and other school teacher connections will definitely help you become successful. Side note, I’m not sure if I have ever commented about it, but I’m jealous that you worked for ESPN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Grant,

    Great post! I found it interesting that you said you would mainly target elementary students and teachers. I am not opposed to that idea, but I also think about adolescence development for middle/high school and the importance of test scores in high school for AP/IB/Dual Enrollment/preparation for college. I'm sure you could argue why any of those groups need more focus haha. Also, don't forget your own personal competencies in addition to your competitive advantage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Grant,
    I think that your idea napkin was really good the first time around, so I understand why you did not make any changes. I have read most of your post because I really think that you have a great business idea going because kids will benefit from healthy and tasty food and parents will appreciated too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Grant,
    Thanks for sharing a little about yourself. I really enjoyed reading what kinds of experience you have accomplished throughout. I also want to say, the sector of the market that you have conveyed in your post is a good idea yet a difficult one to achieve. Finding some more information about school lunches and the system set in place for those aspects are some things to consider when entering this sector. Maybe try to narrow down on what aspect of lunches appear to be the most conflicted controversy would be a start. Overall great concept!
    Kaitlin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1

What’s Next?