Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 2

I found three new teachers to interview. The first thing I asked was what makes you choose what you eat for lunch during the school day. One of them answered they go based on convenience, which is why they eat the school lunch. The second said she chooses based on healthiness, so she brings her lunch. The third said price, which is why she eats the free school lunch food. When asked if the school lunch were to improve would that influence your decision, the one who brings her lunch said yes while the other two said no but they would appreciate that.

I continued to ask them the questions like what matters most to them and what makes them feel they made the right decision, but all three were fairly consistent with their answers. The two that already eat the school lunch said they will continue to eat the lunch no matter what, but would definitely prefer the food get better so they would like a service like the one I'm providing. The third said that she will continue to bring her lunch, but what consdier switching to the school lunch if it got healthier. This made me realize that there is already a group of teachers and students that don't really care about the food quality and will eat it no matter what, which would give the schools less of an incentive to switch to my service, even if they agree it would be beneficial. I need to make sure when I am pitching my service that I really emphasize the need and benefits of it for my specific target segments.

Comments

  1. Hello Grant,

    Unfortunately some are just apathetic to how the world functions around them. I agree that you should be really intentional and specific of where you market your product. I can see the viewpoint of all of these teachers, especially the who gets free lunch. Free food is always a blessing for those who need it or stumble upon it, so there definitely has to be a price consideration. Maybe you can at least give one portion of food to add to the free lunch to get them a little healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Grant!

    I found your results very interesting. As you mentioned, ⅔ participants are indifferent to the choices in the menu, but one of them would actually switch to cafeteria lunch if it was healthier. I believe that if you were to make the lunch healthier, it should also be tastier. Most people - like me - associate healthy foods as raw broccoli with frozen carrots. This is far from the truth, however. That is why I highly recommend you market your product as both healthy and delicious. Also, I would highly recommend interviewing students. When I was in HS, I usually avoided the really healthy foods. I also saw so much food go to waste since students had to get a side of veggies or fruit when they didn’t want it. They would then proceed to the trash can and just throw it out. It was a sad sight.

    So healthy AND tasty. That should help you out!

    Best,

    Matthew Mrnacaj

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1

What’s Next?